[Samba] samba 3.0 problems with word files and possible other msoffice files

Christian Nabski christian.nabski at emd.be
Fri Oct 17 11:45:42 GMT 2003

A follow-up on my own message. :-)
I tried a few other things yesterday.

A problem is also (like another poster said) that I don't see a difference
in rights of some directories.
With one dir word doesn't save the files and with another it does.

So I have 2 directories in problem_share :

problem_share|dir/dir1 --> word doesn't save the files (memory or disk
space msword error)
problem_share|dir/dir2 --> word saves without problem

both dirs have the same rights.

Now I tried this :
- enabled all oplocks

problem_share|dir/dir1 --> word saves the file ! but takes a long time to
finalize (it looks like word has crashed but returns after approx 30s a
1min)
problem_share|dir/dir2 --> word saves without problem (no delays)

Finally I tried this :
- enabled all oplocks and copied the files to a new directory
Till now I heard no problems. Let's see how it behaves today and next
week.

The disk config is 4 disks in raid 5 with raid ctrl.
I described the problem with 1 problem dir but there were also other
directories with problems.

Christian