[Samba] Seeking advice: Backup Exec & Samba shares

Bruce Lane kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com
Sun Nov 30 03:18:37 GMT 2003

Fellow Samba-shakers,

	I've run into an odd problem, and I'm seeking the advice of anyone who has implemented Veritas Backup Exec 8.6 or 9.0, on an NT 4.0 server platform, to perform backups of NetBSD 1.6x systems via Samba file shares. Said problem did NOT manifest itself until I tried using Samba 3.0.0. I have jumped back to 2.2.8a, since that's the last version that was known to work, until I can get the issue resolved.

	And the issue is: When I try to browse Samba-produced file shares, it takes nearly two and a half minutes for the tree to expand. Then, when I try to select one of the branches in the directory tree for backup, I get a Dr. Watson error (an Access Violation exception), an additional error message that the program could not browse the share because the Remote Procedure Call failed, and the Backup Exec master job engine shuts down. I have to restart it before I can do anything else.

	This one has got me utterly baffled. I will happily provide logs and other such goodies upon request.

	Thanks much.

Bruce Lane, Owner & Head Hardware Heavy,
Blue Feather Technologies -- http://www.bluefeathertech.com
ARS KC7GR (Formerly WD6EOS) since 12-77 -- kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (Red Green, aka Steve Smith)