[Samba] smbfs size limit

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Nov 29 03:25:27 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 03:38, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Hello, Samba-users,
>
> please don´t beat me, but I have to ask this question here, as I
> haven´t found an answer I can rely on until now.
>
> I am working on a solution for a backup-problem and one possible
> solution could be the use of smbfs/smbmount.
>
> I am testing that now, mounting a WinXPHome(sorry, testing ...)-share
> which is 20GB of size (8GB used) to my linux-box. The linux-box is a
> bit more sophisticated (Kernel 2.6.0-test11 - Samba 3.0.0).
>
> I don´t want to get into details now, just my questions:
>
> - I am aware of a sizelimit of 2 GB or 4 GB when using smbfs.
>   What is the limit exactly and where does it come from ?
>   smbfs in the kernel ? smbmount ?

smbfs in the kernel cannot support the large files.  smbmount in Samba
3.0 has the patches required to support the large file negotiation
(that's the lfs option).

> - I read about several patches and stuff, but that was all for older
>   kernels. Basically I would be happy if it works with kernel 2.4.x.
>   Could someone point me to the patches?
>
> I know that this topic ain´t new ...

If you cannot use smbclient (really, it is easier!), and you want to
patch your kernel, then patch it with the CIFS VFS:

http://www.samba.org/samba/Linux_CIFS_client.html

However, in your case, you don't even need to go this far - with the 2.6
kernel, CIFS is standard!  Just select it just like you have smbfs and
NFS.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org