[Samba] smbmount discontinued?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Nov 29 03:21:12 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 00:41, Thiago Lima wrote:
>      In a past thread I've notice that smbmount (and mount's suport for
> it) will be discontinued and smbclient should be used insted.

No, this is incorrect.

There are a few points that need to be made very clearly:

 - smbfs is old, and has known restrictions at the 2GB level.  There are
patches floating around to 'fix' this, but as the only restriction is in
the kernel, there is nothing the Samba Team can do about it.  (smbmount
already contains the client-side helper routines required to support
this).  The issues of file-size are just one of smbfs' problems.

 - There is a new in-kernel filesystem called the 'Linux CIFS client' -
http://www.samba.org/samba/Linux_CIFS_client.html

This filesystem has no 2GB or 4GB restrictions, operates using much
newer protocol revisions, and as such only talks to NT/Win2k/Samba
servers (no Win9X in particular).

 - smbclient is the preferred tool for operations that do not need to
involve a real kernel filesystem.  If you are just shifting files for
backups, then you really do not need an in-kernel filesystem.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net