[Samba] Samba and the use of smart cards for authentication

Simon Posnjak simon at activetools.si
Fri Nov 28 18:14:33 GMT 2003

Hi,

We have a windows based network. Now we would like to secure all the computers
with the use of smart cards (so that people can log on with a smart card).
For testing purposes we bought some card readers and now we are trying to set
up a testing lab. First problem we ran in to is that we would need W2K Server
for Active Directory and the MS CA. Until now we used Samba for print and
file server, so we thought that we would use Samba also for authentication. I
read a lot of documentation but I didn't find any information about how to
use smart cards for authentication with Samba. Can this be done? Any
information would be deeply appreciated? Thank you.

		Regards Simon