[Samba] Samba 3.0 and NIS

Ben Blakely ben at bablakely.com
Thu Nov 27 22:23:48 GMT 2003

Hi everyone,
  I'm responsible for a small (~500 clients, 7 servers, 600 users)
school district network.  It has been my goal for the last several years
to gradually phase out all NT servers (Windows 2000).  The only obstacle
here is that we have several (<20) Windows clients (2000/XP) in our
Administration office and CAD lab that can't be removed.  My question is
simply this: if I migrate my main file server (Win2000) to Linux (RH9),
will I be able to set Samba up to authenticate to my existing NIS
domain?  It'd be wonderful if I didn't have to configure LDAP (our
network hardly requires that extensible of a solution).  What is
involved or required in enabling authentication and password updates
through NIS for a Samba 3.0 PDC box?

Regards in advance,
/Ben Blakely
North Polk Community School District IT