[Samba] Failed to verify incoming ticket!

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Nov 27 17:26:23 GMT 2003

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Wolfgang Wagner wrote:

> > From: John H Terpstra [mailto:jht at samba.org]
> >
> > This possibly means that your version of Kerberos is not able
> > to handle
> > the requirements of the Windows server you are trying to negotiate the
> > join with.
> >
> > If you are using SuSE Linux your samba-3.x should be linked with the
> > latest Heimdal, if Red Hat you need to link against MIT 1.3.1.
>
> Thank you John for your help.
>
> One more question: why should I use different kerberos-libs on SuSE and RedHat?

SuSE ships with Heimdal. For Windows Server 2003 interoperability you need
the latest version of Heimdal.

Red Hat ships with MIT Kerberos, only MIT version 1.3.1 can work with
Windows Server 2003. The 1.2.x versions that ship with Red Hat Linux will
not work with Win2003.

You can use either Helmdal-0.6+ or MIT 1.3.x - use whichever is easiest
for you. You might have a few problems trying to install MIT on top a
system that has Heimdal installed already.

> Exists there a link in the documentation or in your new samba-book?

In the book, "The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide" (aka:
Samba-HOWTO-Collection) there are indirect references to the configuration
requirements - this will be expanded when either I get some more time, or
if someone provides me with a patch to the documentation.

The indirect reference is in the section 6.2 of the book, 7.2 of the
HOWTO.

> Which version should I use with Debian woody? Or more precise, which feature
> should the libkrb support (a link to documentation would make me happy)?

It's up to you. I'd use MIT 1.3.1, it takes the least amount of effort to
make it work.

Cheers,
John T.