[Samba] How to set up a share in smb.conf for ACL's

Dirk Hennrichs dirk.hennrichs at stadt-gummersbach.de
Thu Nov 27 14:56:26 GMT 2003

I have a great understanding problem about acls and share-definitions. I
use Samba 3.0.1pre3, compiled with acl-support, everything works fine,
ACL's can be set with Windows XP File-Manager and the getfacl shows that
it is OK. My Problem ist that I dont know how to define a share for
acls.

For example, here is my share

[user1]
Path=/lanman/user1
Valid users=user1, at root
Force user=user1
Read only=No

User1 can work with the share. Now, I want user2 to work with it and I
want to define it with ACL-Settings, so getfacl on /lanman/user1 shows
the following (even all Subdirectories and Files within the share):

Getfacl /lanman/user1:
# file: user1
# owner: user1
# group: users
user::rwx
user:user2:rwx
group::---
mask::rwx
other::---
default:user::rwx
default:user:user2:rwx
default:group::---
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

But when user2 tries to connect to that share, no success !

Can somebody tell me what ist wrong ?

I know that with valid users =user1,user2 I can solve this problem. But
I need ACL's inside share definitions to grant access to some files not
to all valid users !

I hope you understand what I want to say with my bad english ;-) !!!