[Samba] Re: samba 3 mandrake rpms...where is net tool?

leopardb leopardb at club-internet.fr
Thu Nov 27 15:02:51 GMT 2003

Tim Jordan wrote:

>I installed the RPMS from samba web site for Mandrake 9.1.
>Configuration is weird as things are labeled smbd3 or winbind3...
>
>Testparm runs against /etc/samba/smb.conf yet swat configures the
>smb.conf in a different location...hmm....
>
>But really my problem is joining the AD domain as a member server.  I
>can't locate the net tool.
>
>How is this done?
>
>How does testparm know to test against /etc/samba3/smb.conf instead of
>/etc/samba/smb.conf?
>
>Perhaps there are two versions of samba here?  I loaded a clean mandrake
>9.1 install and then loaded the RPM's.
>
>Should I scrap this idea and compile from scratch on Mandrake?
>
>Please advise if possible,
>Tim

I did something like that and i had a 'net3' tool. But you probably
don't have it (you would have found it with bash autocomplete). Since
then i've gone back to samba 2.2.8 where i don't have a net tool anyway.
Why do yuo need it by the way ? i know i missed it to make my linux box
join a NT domain,, but there was actually another way to do it.