[Samba] Re: Can't use offline files in Windows 2000 properly

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Thu Nov 27 09:36:49 GMT 2003

On Thursday 27 November 2003 03:40, Nick Gale wrote:
> I was having problems with Offline folders and Samba 2.2.7 (running on RH8)
> and upgraded to 3.0.1Pre and the problem appears to have gone away. I'm not
> using ACL's either. My problem with offline folders was  not on writing
> them to the local machine but on writing them back when it went back on the
> network.

Hmm OK.. I tried a quick test with a crash box and Samba 3.0.0 and it seemed
to work fine. I used XP Pro for the test as the person with Win2K pro is only
in the office once a week (hence the need for offline stuff :). Hopefully I
can upgrade our main file server without too much wailing and gnashing of
teeth.

> Note that 3.0.0 has a bug that allows certain Office docs - Word and Excel
> to write over a file that is already open on another  machine, hence why I
> went for 3.0.1Pre. I also found that the default settings on 3.0.1 are "nt
> acl support = yes", you would need to change that to no.

Hmm OK.
That isn't a huge issue for me, so maybe I'll just take my chances 8-)

> Hope this helps

Yes, thank you for the help!

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5