[Samba] how many users?

Jay Fenlason fenlason at redhat.com
Wed Nov 26 19:38:25 GMT 2003

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 03:25:02PM +0000, John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Pirkka Luukkonen wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Can anyone tell how many users with different uids can you add to samba/gnu
> > linux/ldap -environment? Is 50000-200000 users possible?
>
> The key limitation is how many users your UNIX/Linux system can handle.
> If UID/GID has a maximum value of 65535 (an unsigned int) then that is the
> limit you can use.

That would be an unsigned short on a 32-bit machine (I hope you're not
still using a 16-bit machine these days).

I don't know about other Linux distributions, but Red Hat Linux
(Fedora Core these days) and Red Hat Enterprise Linux have a bug where
smbfs doesn't work with uids >16 bits.  AFAIK, everything else works
fine.

			-- JF

P.S.  I will be very happy when cifsfs replaces smbfs forever.  C'mon 2.6!