Antwort: Re: [Samba] Backup from Linux onto Win2K-share

Carsten.Loeffler at command.de Carsten.Loeffler at command.de
Wed Nov 26 10:26:13 GMT 2003

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 12:28:33PM +0100, Carsten.Loeffler at command.de
wrote:

> No, I'm not really "taring". Right now I'm using following command to
mount
> a share on the windows box:
>
> smbmount //ntsrvsr3/cmdhp5 /mnt/backupsmb -o username=kwhadm,dmask=777
>
> I also tried "mount -f smbfs ...."; but this failed as well.
>
> Some more descriptions:
> I have a Windows-2000-domain with ten W2K servers. One of the servers is
my
> backup server which has a share for each of the other servers where they
> can put
> their database-backups. As well I have a Linux box running a database; it
> also
> has to put its database backup to a share (named above).
>
> A few words on my database: I'm running SAP DB 7.3. It has the option to
> backup the database either on a tape or on into a file. If using
> "file-backup" this
> file can be anywhere on the linux, either in the local file system or in
> NFS or in
> SAMBA. SAP DB does not care on that as long as it can use a mount.
> In Windows this works out perfectly for me (same technique).
>
> Ive tried FTP, SAMBA and NFS: nothing can backup more than 2 or 4
Gigabyte.
> Ive tried Suse Enterprise 8, Suse 8.2, Mandrake 8.1: same problem
> everywhere.
> At home I tried to manage it with XP-Professional and Suse Linux 8.2;
there
> I've tested a new compiled kernel and samba 3.0.1: same problem.
>
> Sorry, but I'm getting "frustrated".

-You're using the Linux Kernel "smbfs" file system module, which is a
-part of the Linux kernel and not really part of Samba per se (although
-the smbmount helper program is included in Samba).  Some versions of
-it have a 2G file size limit.  There are patches that you can apply to
-your Linux kernel (and possibly your Samba as well) to.
-
-Can you try using the smbclient command to copy the file to your
-server?
-
-The other alternative is to try installing the Linux CIFS filesystem
-module.  See
-http://www.samba.org/samba/Linux_CIFS_client.html
-                                    -- JF

Jay,

Thank you for your information.

I've tried smbclient; that did not work as well: it stopped
at exactly 4 Gigabytes (4.294.2967.296 Bytes) and that that
it copied the file successfully - but it did not.
Is that what you expected? Is it a kernel limitation then?
I have are "fresh" kernel (2.4.19) and I'm using Samba 2.2.5

Anyway I will read that CIFS page....

Regards,
Carsten Loeffler

 This message is intended for the addressee or its representative only.
  Any form of unauthorized use, publication, reproduction, copying or
  disclosure of the content of this e-mail is not permitted. If you are not
  the intended recipient of this e-mail message and its contents, please
  notify the sender immediately and delete this message and all its
  attachments subsequently.

  command ag