[Samba] CAP_UNIX disabling

Benno benjl at cse.unsw.edu.au
Wed Nov 26 06:27:13 GMT 2003

I just ran into a lot of pain trying to get a simple share working
with Samba 3.0 and Linux 2.6.

The problem comes down to Linux 2.6 actually implemented the CIFS Unix
extensions where as Linux 2.4 does not. This combined with samba having
unix_extensions on by default causes a bit of pain.

I think that possibily unix extensions should be off by default, or failing
that, the man page for smb{mount|mnt} should explain in the uid=,gid= options
that these are overridden if the server has unix_extensions enabled.

Thanks,

Benno

(P.S: Not subscribed to list, please CC any replies.)