[Samba] very low speed local network browsing from win xp clients

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Nov 26 05:12:06 GMT 2003

Hi,

Suggest you make the changes shown. Let me know how it goes.

- John T.

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, [iso-8859-2] Buda Gábor wrote:

> Hi Everyone there!
>

> We have a very annoying problem since several months when browsing the local
> network (workgroup) from win xp clients (from win98 clients it's almost OK).
> The machines in the workgroup appearing very slooow (about 15-20 sec), and
> this value doesn't change even in the 2nd or 3rd browse. We have 1 linux
> (debian 2.4.21 pre 3) pc, running the samba (2.2312) server, about 15 win98
> clients, 60 win xp clients, 1 win nt server. When I shutdown our win nt
> server, the problem doesn't change. When I shutdown our samba server, the
> browsing of our workgroup become very fast.
>
> Here is my smb.conf file, perhaps You can help me to solve this problem.
> Thank You.
>

> ;
> ; /etc/smb.conf
> ;
> ; Sample configuration file for the Samba suite for Debian GNU/Linux
> ;
> ; Please see the manual page for smb.conf for detailed description of
> ;	every parameter.
> ;
>
> [global]
> 	domain master = no
> 	local master = yes
> 	preferred master = yes

Comment out the above 3 lines.

> 	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
> 	printing = bsd
> 	syslog only = no
> 	dns proxy = no
> 	null passwords = yes
> 	protocol = NT1
> 	name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast

	name resolve order = bcast host

You do not have a WINS server, nor have you indicated that you have
manually set up lmhosts, so do not use them. Use Boradcast first, since
DNS will not help you to resolve NetBIOS names.

> 	strict sync = no
> 	socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
> SO_RCVBUF=8192
> 	character set = iso8859-2
> 	short preserve case = yes
> 	printcap name = /etc/printcap
> 	invalid users = root
> 	max log size = 1000
> 	interfaces = 192.168.32.253/255.255.255.0
> 	debug level = 0
> 	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
> *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
> 	preserve case = yes
> 	security = user
> 	unix password sync = no
> 	workgroup = vorosko
> 	server string = %h server (Samba %v)
> 	syslog = 0
> 	client code page = 852
> 	netbios name = SERVER
> 	guest account = nobody
> 	load printers = no
> 	os level = 255

	os level = 33

It does not help to set this any higher.

> 	socket address = 192.168.32.253

Comment out the socket address line.