[Samba] samba 2.2.8a, XP pro workgroup question.

McKeever Chris tech-mail at prupref.com
Wed Nov 26 04:05:06 GMT 2003

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:56 , KD7NWG <kd7nwg at whitepineclub.com> sent:

>Gang,
>This is my first post here so if I screw up please let me know.
>
>I run samba 2.2.8a on Solaris at home (UltraUX).
>I have several XP pro and win98 clients on this same network
>(192.168.1.x).
>
>I feel that my primary problem is when I try to access the share it is
>populating the username field 'Guest' and asking me for a password when
>I want this share to be completely open regardless of workgroup or
>domain name.

I have had this problem a bunch of times.  I _believe_ that it is caused by samba using the username/password and then failing (guest access
is only when there is no usernmae/password..does that make sense?)..There is a setting which allows you to fallback to a username if the
original username/password pair fails (in the docs this is said 'to cause confusion for sys-admins')  I believe if you poke around with 'map to
guest' and 'bad password'  you should be able to come up with a solution.