[Samba] PDC Machine Trust Accounts

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 25 22:39:12 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 08:29, Ben Davis wrote:
> I read in the Samba HOWTO Collection that every machine in the domain
> needs to have a corresponding UNIX account.  Does this mean whenever I
> add a machine to the network, I must create a UNIX account for each
> one??  Am I supposed to create Unix accounts for my users as well?
> Doesn't this defeat the purpose of using a centralized authentication
> backend such as LDAP or MySQL?

Correct, you must create unix accounts for all your users, and all your
machines.  However, this does not defeat the purpose of central
authentication databases, as it does not specify how the unix accounts
are created.   For LDAP installations, it it typical to have the
posixAccount attributes on the same ldap entry as the sambaSamAccount,
and to use nss_ldap to 'create' them into unix.

There is a nss_mysql module out there, I think, but LDAP is the standard
way of doing this.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org