[Samba] move the samba pdc to new box

Ed Holden eholden at mclean.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 25 19:39:57 GMT 2003

Sen,

I actually did this during my testing phase a year ago and it was pretty
straightforward - a LOT easier than moving the PDC on NT.  I just kept
everything in /etc/samba identical on both machines, and also made sure
I had all the accounts in /etc/passwd set up identically (this includes
machine accounts, so it's important).  I took the network cable from the
old box and moved it to the new one, and my clients had no idea anything
had changed.  Granted it was a new system so I only had one test client,
but I was still mildly impressed with the server's portability.

In my case the new server replaced the old one, so the IP address and
DNS hostname were unchanged.  Your case might be different.  If the
hostname, IP address or NetBIOS name changes I'm nos sure what would
happen, but someone else on this list might.

-Ed

senthil wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am running samba 2.2xx as a PDC. I am planning to move this PDC to a new
> and stable box running rh 8.0. Can anyone please advise me how to move the
> PDC to a new box keeping the same settings like the user accounts and even
> the unix SID and things like that .. Can any one guide me to some howto
> which can help me .. ?  please ..
>
> Regards,
>
> Sen

Any information, including protected health information (PHI), transmitted
in this email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and or
exempt from disclosure under applicable Federal or State law. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in
reliance upon, protected health information (PHI) by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.