[Samba] smbmount not exiting in script

Bert Buckley bbuckley at uniqss.com
Tue Nov 25 17:44:41 GMT 2003

I run a script to mount several file shares from machines running W98
and W2000 so that I can do incremental dumps every night of these file
shares.

smbmount almost always fails to exit.  This causes the script to stall
and so the dumps are not done.  In the am, if I kill the smbmount
processes, the dumps complete successfully, since the mounts were in
fact correctly completed. (I know that smbmount leaves a child running
to monitor the mount, but neither the parent nor child smbmount exits.)

I am running RH 9, kernel 2.4.20-8, samba-2.2.7a-7.9.0.

Note that logwatch also reports the following every morning:

    WARNING:  Kernel Errors Present
   smb_get_length: recv error = 5...:  32Time(s)

Related?

Thanks for any help.

Bert

P.S. Please respond to email address bbuckley at uniqss.com since
I am unable to routinely read the mailing list.  Thanks.