[Samba] Multiple Users On One Share With Permissions=755 for Created Files

dpgirago at mdanderson.org dpgirago at mdanderson.org
Tue Nov 25 17:32:55 GMT 2003

Howdy Samba Group,

I'm about 2 clicks away from being a total Samba newbie, but I did manage
to get one up and running on RH9 in a W2K / Novell for Windows
environment.
The shares are set up like this:

--  each member of the group has a private share accessible only from
their desktops
--  a common share, 'research ', accessible to any member of the research
group from any of the computers belonging to any of these members
--  a guest share accessible from anywhere in our subnet  ( by anyone who
knows the username and password, of course ).

And now I've been asked to set up  --  or alter the config file for  --  a
share for members of the research group whereby each member can create
files with RWX for themselves but others can only R - X . This is to allow
joint code development in the group. But not only do I not know how to do
this, I'm not sure it can even be done. Don't you access a share by
supplying a username and password, and wouldn't that then identify each
connection as that particular user? If so, then all files created would
essentially have been done so by the same user, no?

If anyone can confirm or contradict my thinking, or point me in the right
direction conceptually, I'd be much obliged.

TIA,

dave