[Samba] samba & rsync

McKeever Chris tech-mail at prupref.com
Tue Nov 25 16:01:50 GMT 2003

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 02:19 , John K. <brack102 at hotmail.com> sent:

>>I apologize if you already resolved this..I am a bit confused as to why you
>>need to connect via samba for rsync.  I do something very similar and rsync
>>handles
>>it all if I have the correct rsync mount points defined in the .conf file
>
>Thanks for replying chris,
>
>I don't need samba for rsync per se.  We use samba for other reasons.  It
>would be just convinient.  However what is an rync mount point?  I should go
>read about this.  Do you run an rsync deamon?

Yes, I run rsync on the linux side and the windows side as a daemon [lets call this the remote side ie where the daemon is run).  On the local
side I launch rsync through a cron or windows scheduler/.bat file (we will call this the local side)

So if I want to rsync files from the linux box to the windows box, I have the daemon running on the remote windows box, in the .conf file you
define where the mount point is (not sure if that is the correct terminology):

[prupref-1165]
path = e:/prupref-1165/
comment = prupref-1165 mirror
read only = false
use chroot = false

(this can be applied to the linux remote side as well if you are going from windows->linux)

I can see how going the rsync->smb would be a bit easier, but I had some issues with it.