[Samba] Samba 3.0.1 from samba.org shows "bgmilne" as username

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Tue Nov 25 12:47:09 GMT 2003

> Message: 35
> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:58:32 -0600
> From: "Eric Geater 11/18/03" <egeater at mscoinc.com>
> Subject: [Samba] Samba 3.0.1 from samba.org shows "bgmilne" as
> 	username
> To: "'Samba Mailing List'" <samba at lists.samba.org>
>
> When I attempted to "rpm -i samba3-3.0.0-1.1mdk.src.rpm" this morning on
> my Mandrake 9.2 box, I got an unusual message that doesn't make sense.
> It said, over and over (thirteen times total):
>
> WARNING:  user bgmilne does not exist - using root

This is normal (ok, it started appearing since rpm-4.2) when you install
a SRPM on a machine which doesn't have the account (mine in this case)
which owned the sources in the SRPM when it was built.

> When it went back to root prompt, I did an "updatedb", but nothing for
> "samba-3" is found when I did the urpmi request.  Any ideas?

Installing an SRPM only installs the sources into the directory pointed
to by the %_sourcedir directory, and the spec file to the directory
pointed to by the %_specdir directory.

You probably rather want to do:

rpm --rebuild samba3-3.0.0-1.1mdk.src.rpm

But this may require a few more packages, firstly the package to allow
you to build RPMS, secondly the buildrequires of the package. You can
achieve this with:

# urpmi rpm-build
# urpmi --src samba3-3.0.0-1.1mdk.src.rpm

Note however that urpmi won't know about the packages you have just built.

But, rebuilding the package will basically give you packages identical
to those in contrib for 9.2.

Jerry has uploaded my 3.0.1pre3 packages to the FTP mirrors, so you can
get 3.0.1pre3 with urpmi from your favourite samba mirror, using
something like this:

# urpmi.addmedia samba \
http://master.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/Mandrake/RPMS/test/9.2/\
with hdlist.cz

# urpmi samba3-server

BTW, I'm open to suggestions (from users who use the Mandrake urpmi
medium on the samba FTP mirrors) as to whether I should build samba3 for
 8.2->9.2 with the '--with system' switch, which will replace
samba-2.2.x packages (intead of install in parallel as at present). I
currently think it should stay as is (not give users on samba-2.2.x any
nasty surprises), but if you have a motivation why it should change,
please mail me in person.

> I wrote an
> email that bounced to Mr Milne, and don't know what else to investigate

My apologies, my inbox overflowed last night.

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202