[Samba] Round 2 - Guest Share on WXP Host

Paul Kerin pkerin at cyberone.com.au
Tue Nov 25 10:18:08 GMT 2003

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help so far.  Not quite there but I
think I'm close.  For anyone new, it's a private 2 comp network (RH9 and
WXP) so I just want the simplest guest access possible.

This is my current smb.conf file:

[global]

workgroup = SAMBA
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
security = share
null passwords = yes

[test]

comment = For testing only, please
path = /root/transfer
read only = no
guest ok = yes
guest only = yes

I stop and start SMBD and NMBD after each change to my smb.conf file.  I
also run testparm.  I've even started rebooting my WXP box to make sure
the changes are picked up.  Probably just paranoia but WXP doesn't seem
to notice changes I've made automatically.

I also tried setting guest account = nobody, setting the linux password
to nobody and setting the smbpasswd to nobody.

The main change is from user to share access.  WXP recognises it as a
guest account now but still prompts for a password.  Entering "nobody"
didn't work when I was using the nobody account, Null password doesn't
work when I'm not using nobody as the guest account.

The folder /root/transfer has permissions set to drwxrwxrwx with the
group nobody and the owner set to nobody.

I even tried removing all the password related stuff from the globals
area (just workgroup = SAMBA and security = share). Same problem, WXP
expects a password and won't accept what should be the correct password.
I don't think I need to set the netbios name because windows is
detecting it ok, but I tried that as well.

Is there anything else I can check/try?

Thanks,

Paul