[Samba] Re: HP560C

Nick Gale nick at thegales.me.uk
Tue Nov 25 08:43:57 GMT 2003

Hi Alex

I had a similar problem with an HP printer which was due to CUPS and not
Samba. Look at the CUPS log I think you'll find an error saying that it
doesn't support "application/octet-stream". (Can't remember the exact
wording - too long ago!)

If this is the case go to etc/cups and look at all the config files -
mime.types, mime.convs, etc and remove the # before the line
application/octet-stream from all the files that have this line.

This worked for me, hope this helps

Cheers

Nick

"Alex Orange" <hermione at flamingamin.com> wrote in message
news:000801c3b2fa$e6a5cea0$3f01a8c0 at flamingamin.com...
Hey,
     I'm using an HP560C printer on a Redhat 9 linux server and I can't get
it to print. Using smbclient I can print a text page. Using smbclient I can
find the printmode is graphical but when I try to print anything graphical
it doesn't work. I copied my old smb.conf file from Redhat 8 and it had
worked. I have tried changing printing = to cups but that didn't help. Yes
my printer is set to share through cups if that make any difference. The
hp560c icon shows up on my windows machine and my linux machine but if I try
to print it just disappears.