[Samba] Authentication failed through SWAT

Eric Geater 11/18/03 egeater at mscoinc.com
Mon Nov 24 18:53:35 GMT 2003

I'm now pointing my Samba 3 (this is a different computer, running
Mandrake 9.1) to the correct TCP port of 901, but when I attempt to
enter my root password, it rejects the login attempt and says,
"Authentication failed!  Do you want to retry?"

Two things; retrying has included other legit usernames and passwords,
but all have failed.  Secondly, there is an account on my NT system
called "root", and I changed the password on it to match the one, just
in case it's trying to authenticate against the NT server (since this is
Samba, and I have it on domain level security).  Do any of these offer
any clues?

Thanks

Eric