[Samba] Re: Re: Office 2000 / Windows 2000

Nick Gale nick at thegales.me.uk
Mon Nov 24 10:32:40 GMT 2003

Thanks Bob

Unfortunately I have tried all manor of combinations of op locks, etc. and
nothing makes any difference. I don't think this is anything to do with
locking - when you change the read only bit in file properties on the
windows box there is nothing on the log, i.e. this happens totally on the
client and not on the server. This must be more to do with the way the
client is being advised of the status of the file after it is saved for the
first time.

I am not hopeful about this, as I can see similar posts about this in the
archive (relating to 2.2.8 as well) and no answers...........

Thanks

Nick

"Bob Crandell" <bob at assuredcomp.com> wrote in message
news:20031123.pVa.02715000 at ocicat...
Hi,
I stopped having trouble with MS Office any version with oplocks turned off.
kernel oplocks = no
oplocks = no
level2 oplocks = no

Bob

Nick Gale (nick at thegales.me.uk) wrote:

>Further to this, I have upgraded to the latest Pre release as I have seen
>similar posts about this and Jeremy's advice to upgrade.
>
>It has made no difference I'm afraid.
>
>One other side to this problem that other people have posted about is that
>Excel reports a read only file as doesn't exist. i.e. you can not open a
>read only file at all.
>
>Help please!
>
>Thanks
>
>Nick
>"Nick Gale" <nick at thegales.me.uk> wrote in message
>news:bpq3f3$j0n$1 at sea.gmane.org...
>> Hi
>>
>> I have just upgraded to Samba 3.0.0 and have found a problem with Office
>> 2000 running on Windows 2000. Files opened in Word or Excel open fine and
>> can be saved once without a problem but the action of saving sets the
read
>> only attribute of the file and so subsequent saves do not work. The only
>way
>> round this is to close the file, go to Explorer and select the properties
>of
>> the file and then un check the read only box. You can then open the file
>> again, but again once you save it it becomes read only.
>>
>> This only happens on Office 2K on Win 2K, other file types on Win 2K are
>> fine and office 2K files on Win 98 are fine.
>>
>> It appears to be the way Windows or Office is interpreting the
information
>> about the file as the log shows the same results / actions (log level 2 &
>3)
>> as it does when opening and saving other files.
>>
>> Has anyone else found this - is this a bug?
>>
>> Your help would be gratefully received
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Nick
>>

>> --