[Samba] password chat program timeout

Georg Lutz glist at gmx.net
Sun Nov 23 18:51:19 GMT 2003

Hi,

after some investigation, I found out why my users always get an error
back when they try to change their passwords on win2k.

unix password sync option is enabled and passwords are synchronised via
passwd chat. All acounts are stored in ldap.

With the value of 2000 ms in smbd/chgpasswd.c(function expect) I always
got timeout messages in the logs. The reason for the timeout seems to be
the relative long ldap-lookup. However with a value of 5000 ms it works,
users can change their (unix-)passwords over samba.

Is there a chance to have a default value of 5000 ms or even longer in
the next release?

I also wonder if somebody else observed this kind of timeout issue.

--
Georg