[Samba] Win2K Client Intermittent Connections

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Sun Nov 23 13:16:13 GMT 2003

We recently upgraded our main file server from a PIII to a P4 with raid
as well as did a fresh install of RedHat 9 leaving the old server
intact.  Most everything went well, I copied all the config files over
for the different services and got samba running successfully.  I tested
connecting to from different win boxes using 98, 98SE, NT4, and 2K, they
all were able to browse files and print successfully so I took the old
server down.  Later I discovered one of our 2K machines was having
trouble logging on.  It wasn't the 2K box I tested before which still
works fine.  The box is able to authenticate to the nt domain, but
sometimes it fails to find the server for d/l the roaming profile
which is the same server it authenticated to.  Even when it successfully
logs on (which is almost instant when it works), I can browse the
network shares on the server, but looking into the shares is
extremely slow and after looking through a couple of folders, the 2K
box no longer can even see the server or any other computers at all.
I can look at other computers and even the old server just fine before
the network stops working.  I've tried stringing a long cable from the
computer down to the server and using a different ethernet switch.
I even tried installing 2K on a fresh hd and sticking it in the box
with the exact same results.  The pressures building to get that box
working again and I'm getting completely stumped.

The old server was RedHAt 7.3 was a vanilla install of samba-2.2.7a from
source and the new server is RedHat 9 using redhat's version of samba
2.2.7a.  I also tried upgrading to samba 3.0 and got same results.

--
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C