[Samba] Re: Samba 3 and OpenLDAP 2.1.22

Jérôme Fenal jerome.fenal at logicacmg.com
Sat Nov 22 22:36:43 GMT 2003

Jason Williams wrote:
> Good afternoon everyone.

Good night from France,

> I'm testing out the new samba 3 (3.0.1 to be exact) with openldap
> 2.1.22. ( have setup a samba 2.2.8a with openldap 2.0.27 as a PDC in the
> past)
> I've read up on a few pages about some of the reqs that are needed:
>
> http://www.unav.es/cti/ldap-smb/smb-ldap-3-howto.html
>
> I've followed the Samba How-To as well. I edited my slapd.conf file and
> added the correct schemas and indexs. I rebuilt my slapindex no problem.
>
> I added some inital data to my LDAP tree so I could see what is going on
> and to track a few things.
>
> Whats odd is that if I do a simple search in my tree (ldapsearch -x) I
> cant seem to pull any of the information that I entered. I entered just
> some basic stuff, very similar to what was in the Samba how-to. I just
> took out a few things and changed the fields to reflect my company.

[snip]

>         passdb backend = ldapsam:ldaps://ldap.mydomain.com, smbpasswd,
Here you use the new ldapsam (in Samba 3), which LDAP schema has changed
beginning with Samba 3 (sambaSamAccount objectclass), whereas Samba 2.2
used SambaAccount objectclass.

[snip]
>         add user script = /usr/share/samba3/scripts/smbldap-useradd.pl '%u'
Here, you *seem* to use smbldap scripts by IdealX, from the Samba3
tarball. _But_, the version 0.7 in the tarball does nos support the new
LDAP schema. Use the 0.8.1 from http://samba.idealx.org/ which works
flawlessly.

[snip]
> I apologize for my brain freeze right now. I thought i'd ask for some
> help and see what im missing.

You're welcome, the list is made for that.

Best regards, and good luck with Samba 3.
The list has had some nice answers to many of my questions (asked by
myself or not) since the last two months. Try searching archives when
having a question. Then post here if no answer.

Jérôme

--
Jérôme Fenal - Consultant Unix/SAN/Logiciel Libre
Groupe Expert & Managed Services - LogicaCMG France