[Samba] Fwd: Samba semantics error?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Nov 21 23:21:51 GMT 2003

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 10:01:32PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> But if I go into windows explorer I can delete the file even though it's
> marked read-only.

It's implicitly removing the RO attribute before the delete.

> You can also remove the read-only attrib in windows servers, but not on
> samba servers (unless you have write access which negates the entire
> purpose...).
>
> Here's what I want:
>
> make files read-only, make directories writable (for user and group only)
> can't modify files, must move or delete.
>
> Here's what I get:
> I can move or delete read-only files to my heart's content as long as I own
> the files.  If I don't, then nada.  No moving or deleting.

I still don't get exactly what you want I'm afraid. Currently we're
implementing POSIX semantics where delete/rename belongs to the directory, not
the file.

The parameters "dos filemode" and "dos filetimes" provide some semblance
of the DOS semantics.

I'm still unclear on exactly what doesn't work for you. Can you give
me an exact example ?

Jeremy.