[Samba] samba 3.0 does not list servers when "map to guest = bad user" ?

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Nov 21 23:19:06 GMT 2003

Hello,

I've been trying to configure a samba 3.0 server to play nicely both
with smbclient and with MS windows. The server in question is running
the samba 3.0.0final-1 with the default smb.conf file (for now).

At present, if I try to view the list of shares from within windows, I
get a login dialog box and cannot proceed. Using 'smbclient -L', I can
view the list of shares and servers - just like I want it to be.

The way I had fixed the problem with windows before, within samba 2.x,
was to set "map to guest = bad user", which set up fallback to guest
access the way I wanted it to. Unfortunately, when I do that with samba
3.0 I cannot get a list of servers when I connect using a "bad"
username.

This is what happens when "map to guest = never", the default if not
specified (user adsfsadf does not exist):

******begin******
bugfood at bugfood:~$ smbclient -N -U adsfsadf -L darwin
Anonymous login successful

         Sharename      Type      Comment
         ---------      ----      -------
         print$         Disk      Printer Drivers
         IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (darwin server (Samba
3.0.0-Debian))
         ADMIN$         IPC       IPC Service (darwin server (Samba
3.0.0-Debian))
Anonymous login successful

         Server               Comment
         ---------            -------
         BEAUTY               The Wins Server
         DARWIN               darwin server (Samba 3.0.0-Debian)

         Workgroup            Master
         ---------            -------
         CZR                  BEAUTY
*******end*******

...and this is what happens when "map to guest = bad user". Note that
the "Server" section is empty.

******begin******
bugfood at bugfood:~$ smbclient -N -U adsfsadf -L darwin

         Sharename      Type      Comment
         ---------      ----      -------
         print$         Disk      Printer Drivers
         IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (darwin server (Samba
3.0.0-Debian))
         ADMIN$         IPC       IPC Service (darwin server (Samba
3.0.0-Debian))

         Server               Comment
         ---------            -------

         Workgroup            Master
         ---------            -------
         CZR                  BEAUTY
*******end*******

Interestingly enough, when I connect using smbclient from samba 2.x, the
servers are still listed even if "map to guest = bad user". The only
difference in the output is that "Anonymous login successful" is shown
when "map to guest = never".

Also, I can specify "-U nobody" to smbclient v3.0, but I'd rather not do
so unless that's really the only clean way to solve the problem. Regular
connections to a share ("smbclient //server/sharename") seem to get
mapped to guest properly without having to specify user nobody.

So, (finally) my question is this:
How can I properly enable guess access on the samba server such that
windows can access the shares without getting a password prompt, and
smbclient v3.0 can see the list of servers without specifying "-U
nobody"?

By now you might be wondering why seeing the server list is so important
to me when there's only two servers listed. :)  Actually, I'm trying to
work out a fix for this so I can appropriately change the configuration
of a wins server. Right now I'm just messing with a test-box, but the
symptoms are the same.

I'm attaching a copy of my smb.conf file. It's the default configuration
from the Debian samba-common 3.0.0final-1 package.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Corey