[Samba] Samba 3 and OpenLDAP 2.1.22

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Fri Nov 21 21:40:57 GMT 2003

Good afternoon everyone.

I'm testing out the new samba 3 (3.0.1 to be exact) with openldap 2.1.22. (
have setup a samba 2.2.8a with openldap 2.0.27 as a PDC in the past)
I've read up on a few pages about some of the reqs that are needed:

http://www.unav.es/cti/ldap-smb/smb-ldap-3-howto.html

I've followed the Samba How-To as well. I edited my slapd.conf file and
added the correct schemas and indexs. I rebuilt my slapindex no problem.

I added some inital data to my LDAP tree so I could see what is going on
and to track a few things.

Whats odd is that if I do a simple search in my tree (ldapsearch -x) I cant
seem to pull any of the information that I entered. I entered just some
basic stuff, very similar to what was in the Samba how-to. I just took out
a few things and changed the fields to reflect my company.

It could be that I have just missed a step entirely, but for some reason, I
cannot see anything in my tree, even though I added informatin via a .ldif
file.

Here is the output from my testparm:

Load smb config files from /etc/samba3/smb.conf
Processing section "[homes]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC

# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = COURTESYCORP
         netbios name = PENGUIN-DANCER
         server string = Samba Server %v
         map to guest = Bad User
         passdb backend = ldapsam:ldaps://ldap.mydomain.com, smbpasswd, guest
         log level = 2
         log file = /var/log/samba3/log.%m
         max log size = 50
         add user script = /usr/share/samba3/scripts/smbldap-useradd.pl '%u'
         delete user script = /usr/share/samba3/scripts/smbldap-userdel.pl '%u'
         add group script = /usr/share/samba3/scripts/smbldap-groupadd.pl
'%g' && /usr/share/samba3/scripts/smbldap-groupshow.pl %g|awk
'/^gidNumber:/ {print $2}'
         delete group script = /usr/share/samba3/scripts/smbldap-userdel.pl
'%g'
         add user to group script =
/usr/share/samba3/scripts/smbldap-groupmod.pl -m '%u' '%g'
         delete user from group script =
/usr/share/samba3/scripts/smbldap-groupmod.pl -x '%u' '%g'
         set primary group script =
/usr/share/samba3/scripts/smbldap-usermod.pl -g '%g' '%u'
         add machine script = /usr/share/samba3/scripts/smbldap-useradd.pl
-w -d /dev/null -g machines -c 'Machine Account' -s /bin/false %u
         domain logons = Yes
         preferred master = Yes
         domain master = Yes
         dns proxy = No
         ldap suffix = dc=acme,dc=com
         ldap machine suffix = cn=Computers,dc=acme,dc=com
         ldap user suffix = ou=People,dc=acme,dc=com
         ldap group suffix = ou=Group,dc=acme,dc=com
         ldap idmap suffix = dc=acme,dc=com
         ldap admin dn = cn=root,dc=acme,dc=com
         ldap ssl = start tls
         hosts allow = 192.168.1., 127.

[homes]
         comment = Home Directories
         read only = No
         browseable = No

I apologize for my brain freeze right now. I thought i'd ask for some help
and see what im missing.

I do appreciate it.

Cheers,

Jason