[Samba] smbmount and credentials file

Joe Cipale joec at aracnet.com
Fri Nov 21 18:26:55 GMT 2003

I have a small LAN:
SuSE 7.2 with Samba 3.0 and a W2K box.

What I can do:
I can create shares from the W2K box that make files from the Linux box
visible. I can also manually mount (using % smbmount ... ) from the
command line as root. Here is where I run into problems. The only way I
can mount a partition via smbmount is if I use the username=user%passwd
option. If I attempt to setup a .smbpw file, I am prompted for the
password of the user I am attempting to create the mountpoint for. For
example:
% smbmount //w2k_srv/fred /smb/fred -o
"credentials=/root/.smbpw_fred,uid-fred,pid=fred,fmask=664,dmask=775"
Password:

Upon entring the password for user fred, the mount point is created and
the file are accessible. The .smbpw_fred file looks like this:
fred%passwd

Likewise, if I attempt to edit the /etc/fstab entry with the following
line:
//w2k_srv/fred        /smb/fred   smbfs   username=fred%passwd,
uid=fred, gid=fred, fmask=664, dmask=775 0 0
I get an error that the fstab has an error at the line that references
the samba mount point. Any ideas here? This is the last thing i need to
get samba fully functional on my LAN. Everything else has been a piece
of cake!

Thank you in advance,

Joe Cipale

--
#                   Penguinix Consulting                   #