[Samba] Building as non-root user

Matt Seitz seitz at metadata-systems.com
Fri Nov 21 17:55:40 GMT 2003

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On a reasonably sensible linux system, the tests that require root can
> be ignored safely.  Indeed, it's only the ./configure stage that needs
> it at all.
 >
 > (On other unix systems, these tests can be important however)

If I run "configure" as root, and then run "make" as non-root, I run into a
problem.  I read in GNU AUTOCONF, AUTOMAKE AND LIBTOOL
(http://sources.redhat.com/autobook) that it is best to use a build directory
separate from the source directory.  I like that approach, so I am creating a
"build" directory and running "../source/configure" from that directory as root.

If I then run "make" as non-root, I get an error:

Building include/proto.h
creating /opt/teamware/orion-cifs/src/ext/samba/build/include/proto.h
/opt/teamware/orion-cifs/src/ext/samba/source/script/mkproto.sh:
/opt/teamware/orion-cifs/src/ext/samba/build/include/proto.h.14373.tmp~: No such
file or directory
mv: cannot stat
`/opt/teamware/orion-cifs/src/ext/samba/build/include/proto.h.14373.tmp~': No
such file or directory
make: *** [include/proto.h] Error 1

It appears the error is caused by "configure" creating an "include" directory
that cannot be modified by another user.

Any suggestions on how best to solve this problem?