[Samba] Volume labels in XP

George N. Weinisch weinigeo at hvcc.edu
Fri Nov 21 16:21:04 GMT 2003

We are having difficulties in getting the volume labels on mapped drives
to appear consistently in XP over 2.2.8a.  Occasionally they will be
rendered correctly, but more often than not the label shows up as a
series of three boxes in windows, and a vol issued at a command prompt
returns ??? for the drive in question.  The change in behaviour seems
more a function of whether the drive has ever been mapped from that
particular workstation previously, rather than any changes being made to
smb.conf.  All Win2K workstations render the volume label correctly
regardless of service pack.  We have tried explictly providing the label
in smb.conf using the volume = parameter, to no avail.  Any thoughts?

George