[Samba] "Inherited Permissions" vs "Force/Create Mask"

Edd Payne edd.payne at ulu.lon.ac.uk
Fri Nov 21 12:02:48 GMT 2003

This may be the setup that you have at present, but I have a share with the
following set:

[sharename]
   path = /path/to/share
   writeable = yes
   valid users = @<group>
   force group = <group>
   directory mode = 770
   create mask = 660

Then do

# chown anyuser.groupname /path/to/share
# chmod 770 /path/to/share

Add all the users to the same group, and then any user who writes to the share
will have their name as the owner of the file, and the group will be the
group owner, and the permissions will allow full control of the file
(-rw-rw----).

We have a share for each department at work here, and this seems to be working
file for all of them - however our needs aren't as intense as yours so this
may not be the best setup - however it does seem to work quite well so far.

Hope this is of some use,
edd

--
Edd Payne