[Samba] Samba vs DHCP

AVMEJIA AVMEJIA at terra.es
Fri Nov 21 09:18:15 GMT 2003

I was using a Samba server under a SUNOS 5.5.1 operative system. This
SUN machine was the server of a number of Lynux (Mandrake) and Windows
(95,98, XP) computers in a TCP/IP network with fixed IP numbers. We were
oblied to change to DHCP recently. As our network has a huge number of
computers I am running the smbd and nmbd daemos of the Samba with an
identification in such a way that only those windows  computers having
the WINS protocolo with the same identification were able 'to see' this
machine. Under DHCP, at least for Windows 98, there is no any
configuration for this protocol in such a way that now although my
subnetwork is transparent for all SUN and Lynux systems, those Windows
98 working under DHCP are not able to recognize the Samba server.
Obviously there is a trivial solution, I could eliminate the
identification in the daemon of the Samba server but the price to pay is
being transaparent for all the computers on my network (more than four
thousand), I assume there should be some way in the configuration of
Samba to allow a particular internet address to access the Samba server
although it is not able to see it, due to the identification. Does
anybody know how to do it? Thanks in Advance. Alfredo