[Samba] Initial Samba Setup

Joel Hammer Joel at hammershome.com
Fri Nov 21 02:44:09 GMT 2003

smbclient doesn't need samba.

Here is how I would trouble shoot this:

smbclient -d9 -L netbiosname > junklog

Look for lmhosts in junklog. smbclient will try to find your netbios name
with:
lmhosts hosts wins broadcast
in that order by default.
Hosts is DNS or /etc/host
Look to see if the log tells you if found your XP computer.

I would also read DIAGNOSIS.txt.

If smbclient found the XP computer, the log should also give you a clue
as to why the connection failed.

Joel