[Samba] Migration from LDAP to tdbsam

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Nov 20 20:58:39 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 07:51, John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Sean Cook wrote:
>
> > I need to migrate from samba w/LDAP 2.2.8a to 3.0.1pre3 with tdbsam.
> > Any suggestions how to keep from having to change all the profiles?
> >
> > I have read through chapter 30 of the HOWTO but it assumes keeping the
> > same backend.  I need support to munge_dial and that is not available
> > without mysql or tdbsam....
>
> What's the problem?
>
> You can simply update to 3.0.1, then run (as documented chapter 11.3.2 in
> the HOWTO - Note: This is chapter 10.3.2 in the book):
>
> 	pdbedit -i smbpasswd -e tdbsam
>
> Of course, before doing so you need to edit smb.conf to have in [global]
>
> 	passdb backend = tdbsam smbpasswd

No - the point of the '-i' and '-e' arguments is to avoid the need to
specify anything in the smb.conf.  For an import from 2.2 ldap you would
need:

pdbedit -i "ldapsam_compat:ldap://my.ldap.server" -e tdbsam

Then you would set

passdb backend = tdbsam

Anyway, we will get the munged dial-back string into LDAP soon.  (Filing
a bug in bugzilla might make sure I don't forget it...)

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net