[Samba] Debian and Samba 3.0.x issues

David Withers dwithers at withersdavid.com
Thu Nov 20 17:32:17 GMT 2003

I've been trying to install samba as a PDC and am having lots of issues
I got the source for the latest stable version for debian
I ran ./configure, make, make install
It installs without errors, however I am experience the following issues:

First of all Testparm fails, doesn't recognize the command
smbpasswd causes errors
most importantly, it won't work as a PDC.  I can't join it

I have used several smb.conf from many sites to no avail and followed their
sparse directions
I have also tried installing the samba 2.2.6 that came with debian and then
upgrading to 3.0.x
Again no luck.

I have installed samba at least 6 times and debian os 3 or so.

Help please!!!
I'm trying to come to the light of Linux, but just am not seeing it yet.
David