[Samba] smbclient ls error: NT_STATUS_PATH_NOT_COVERED (user permissions are okay)

Allan Peda pedaa at rockefeller.edu
Thu Nov 20 15:05:05 GMT 2003

Hi everyone:

I'll try to be both succinct and accurate here:

Attempting to get a directory listing from a DFS export fails using
"Samba 3.0", but works fine on windows (XP, 2K, NT4).
This happens via smbclient and via "smbmount"ed
directories.  I had no problem joining this domain, and the user that
I am connecting as has permissions to open these folders (I checked from
another machine). Testparm yields no problems, and I can l

Here is an except of the error (NT_STATUS_PATH_NOT_COVERED) in context:

[bioinfo at array30 bioinfo]$ smbclient -d1 -A ~/.smbcred -I 129.85.1.211 "//rockefeller.edu/genearray"
[2003/11/20 05:45:41, 1] client/client.c:do_connect(2598)
  Domain=[ROCKEFELLERNT] OS=[Windows Server 2003 3790] Server=[Windows Server 2003 3790]
smb: \> cd "Test Lab"
smb: \Test Lab\> pwd
Current directory is \\rockefeller.edu\genearray\Test Lab\
smb: \Test Lab\> ls
NT_STATUS_PATH_NOT_COVERED listing \Test Lab\*

                53607 blocks of size 524288. 44261 blocks available
smb: \Test Lab\> quit
[bioinfo at array30 bioinfo]$ smbclient -V
Version 3.0.0
[bioinfo at array30 bioinfo]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
[bioinfo at array30 bioinfo]$ /lib/libc.so.6 | sed -ne "/[Ll]ibrary..*version/p"
GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.2, by Roland McGrath et al.
[bioinfo at array30 bioinfo]$ uname -r
2.4.20-6

I have limited knowledge as to the way our balkanized IT department has
set this up on the server side, but it is my understanding that they are
pulling together many file shares from various departments and presenting
them to this department as a single virtual share
(ie: "//rockefeller.edu/genearray").  Is this related to the ip (-I) argument
that was necessary to connect in the first place?  Without it I get a
"connection refused" error (it points to one of the DFS servers).

Any thoughts where to proceed next?

Thanks

--
Allan Peda