[Samba] Printing on Samba with WinNT...

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Nov 20 07:51:24 GMT 2003

Rainer,

In the book, The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide, in chapter 2
we have provided specific examples of how you can do this. This material
is not yet in the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf (it will be released there in
April next year).

The following config file is all you need to create an anonymous file
server (it is from the book):

[global]
	workgroup = MIDEARTH
	netbios name = HOBBIT
	security = share

[data]
	path = /export
	read only = No
	guest only = Yes

The following gives you an anonymous print server:

[global]
	workgroup = MIDEARTH
	netbios name = LUTHIEN
	security = share
	printcap = /etc/printcap
	show add printer wizard = No
	prinitng = BSD

[printers]
	path = /var/spool/samba
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	use client driver = Yes
	browseable = No

An anonymous server is one that will take any connection, as any user, and
provides unrestricted access - subject of course to file system
permissions.

In addition to these configuration files you will need to set up file
system permissions and correct file and directory ownership. The book
explains this in detail.

Please do not complain at the subscribers on this list for not anwering
your request. Noone owes anyone an answer. Usually, when someone receives
no answer it has something to do with the way the request was made. It
pays to lurk around and observe how others interact before jumping in with
a request that will take someone significant time to answer.

Cheers,
John T.