[Samba] Having Samba integrate/replace existing mixed Unix/Windows network

Fran Fabrizio fran at cis.uab.edu
Thu Nov 20 06:11:20 GMT 2003

Hrmm.  It seems that this (from the HOWTO) puts a MAJOR damper on things....

-------------------------------------
Samba can act as a NT4-style DC in a Windows 2000/XP environment. However,
there are certain compromises:
·       No machine policy files.
·       No Group Policy Objects.
·       No synchronously executed AD logon scripts.
·       Can't use Active Directory management tools to manage users and
machines.
·       Registry changes tattoo the main registry, while with AD they do
not leave permanent changes in effect.
·       Without AD you cannot perform the function of exporting specific
applications to specific users or groups.
--------------------------------------

Considering my goal #6....

6.  Preserve as much of the functionality that Active Directory is
>>currently providing.  This includes login scripts, roaming profiles, all
>>the permissions management and authentication, serving a dfs, etc....I
>>understand that Samba cannot be an Active Directory server, but I also
>>understand that it can do a lot of the same things AD does.

So...no login scripts and some of these other things (policy files, temp
changes to the registry that get wiped at logout, etc...) are common on our
network.  Almost all of our Windows clients are XP.  Do you truly lose the
ability to do all of those things, or can you do older, NT-style versions
of some of them by having the XP clients fallback into NT domain
compatibility?

-Fran