[Samba] Having Samba integrate/replace existing mixed Unix/Windows network

Fran Fabrizio fran at cis.uab.edu
Thu Nov 20 04:56:22 GMT 2003

I've recently inherited a two-headed monster of a network and would like to
see what Samba can do for me to help clean up the situation.  Due to
bias/preference of the past administrator, who favored Unix, when it came
time to introduce Windows machines to our department, he basically built a
parallel network (physically and logically), and let a graduate student
manage the Windows network.  As a result, we now have a network consisting
of two subnets, Windows and Unix.  Each subnet provides it's own file
server, print server, DNS, DHCP, directory (NIS vs. Active Directory) and
user accounts.  Unfortunately for us, this is a rather arbitrary division,
as we often have users that dual-boot between the two sides and students
that need to do work on both and I would prefer that the two networks be
more integrated.

I will be redesigning this network (both physically and logically) and I
believe Samba can help me.  Some of the ways are clear, whereas some are
much less clear.  Let me start with my design goals...

1.  Repartition the network based on functional needs, not OS choice.  Our
context is a department at a university.  Instead of a Unix subnet and a
Windows subnet, I would like a subnet for the undergraduate open labs, a
subnet for research groups, a subnet for faculty workstations,
etc....whatever services I provide need to play well in this multi-subnet
environment.
2.  Consolidate file serving duties.  I would like for a user to see the
same home directory whether booting into Linux, Solaris or Windows.  This
will reduce the number of instances of users needing to move files between
the two systems, as well as provide a single point as a target for backups.
3.  Consolidate user accounts.  I want one account for each user,
period.  If I absolutely can't have this, I want to synchronize between the
two so that it appears as one.  We eventually going to try to authenticate
against the campus-wide LDAP service, and the fewer points of
authentication I have within my department, the easier that will be.
4.  Consolidate DNS and DHCP.  Because we have two DHCPs, and because our
firewall is set to pass all traffic between the two subnets, I actually
have two network cables running to my laptop - I have to switch them when I
switch OSes!  I am not 100% sure of the reason, the past admin simply said
that's how it is, but I believe it's so I hit the "right" DHCP server
first.  Obviously, that needs to go away.  Same with DNS - right now,
adding a host means adding it to Active Directory, adding it to NIS, and
adding it to 3 /etc/hosts files.  This needs to be much cleaner.
5.  Consolidate print servers.
6.  Preserve as much of the functionality that Active Directory is
currently providing.  This includes login scripts, roaming profiles, all
the permissions management and authentication, serving a dfs, etc....I
understand that Samba cannot be an Active Directory server, but I also
understand that it can do a lot of the same things AD does.

So, those are the highlights of my goals.  I see that it's very
straightforward for Samba to do the file and print serving, but is this
rock solid?  This will be the sole source of home dirs, I don't want the
Windows clients flaking out on me.  I'm less sure about the
authentication.  Right now, we use Active Directory on the Win side and NIS
on the Unix side.  I believe one option is to keep the Active Directory for
linux clients, and to use winbind to authenticate against that.  However, I
would like to get rid of AD altogether if possible.  Is there a better
model?  On the Unix side, NIS has to go.  Something like Kerberos or LDAP
would be better but I want to make a choice that plays well with Samba and
with the Windows clients as well.  I know that Kerberos is a good option
for cross-platform single-point-of-authentication.  Perhaps LDAP.  Perhaps
they work together?  What's the model I'm after and how does Samba fit
in?  I'm not sure if Samba can help with the current DNS/DHCP woes or if
that's simply a matter of setting up one on Linux and pointing everyone at
it (not sure how good it is to have DHCP serving multiple subnets like I
want, though...)  Thoughts?

For the "big picture" is it possible for me to get rid of Active Directory
for this network I have of Sun, Linux, NT, 2000, and XP machines and still
have hopes of a reliable network?  If I need to keep an AD around for one
of more of these services, how best to set it up to play with Samba?  Those
are the kinds of questions I'm after.  I have read through the beginning of
the O'Reilly Samba book and it appears that Samba is definitely the right
track, but I'm hoping for a bit more of the specifics of the model I'm seeking.

Thanks for your time and thoughts,
Fran