[Samba] smbpasswd -r -U agains windows 2003 server not working

Vandeir Eduardo vanedu at inf.furb.br
Thu Nov 20 00:52:40 GMT 2003

Hi,

because of organization reasons we have our users
accounts duplicate on windows NT server and on a
linux with samba 3.
To sycronize the passwords we wrote some scripts.
One of them use smbpasswd -r -U username on linux
box to change the password of the account stored on
windows NT server. It is working great!
Now, we are migrating our NT serve to Windows 2003 server.
The problem is that smbpasswd -r -U is not working
against windows 2003 server. It always complain
about invalid password, but of course, the password
is correct.
I would like to know if there is some kind of problem
using smbpasswd to change a password on windows 2003
server. Anyone already use it?
I really need to solve this problem. This is the only
thing that is holding our upgrade. Any hint would by
very apreciate.

Thanks in advance.

Vandeir Eduardo (CCNA)
Laboratório de Computação e Informática (LCI) - Campus IV
Fundacao Universidade Regional de Blumenau (FURB)
Rua Braz Wanka, 238 - CEP: 89.035-160 - Blumenau (SC)
Blumenau, SC, Brasil.
Fone: +55 (047) 321-7819 - Fax: 321-7802