[Samba] Syncing time for non-Admin logons? - net time \\superserver /set /yes

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Nov 20 00:29:39 GMT 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Jeff Gardiner wrote:

> I have in my smb.conf file the following entries:
> time server = yes
>
> and
>
> logon script = startup.bat
>
> Where logon script is as follow:
>
> -----start script -----
> NET TIME \\SUPERSERVER /SET /YES
> # Here we map network drives to shares on the Samba Server
>
> echo Mapping Network Drives to Samba Server Theremin
> net use s: \\superserver\scratch
> net use r: \\superserver\share
>
> \\virusserver\Antivirus\PCCSRV\AUTOPCC.EXE
> -----end script -----
>
> The NET TIME command seems to be runable only by the local admin.  The
> \\superserver is a Solaris9 box running samba 3.0.1pre3 and also acts as an
> ntp server.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions as to how to have my samba clients update with
> the server?

Yes. You need to log onto each client as the local machine 'Administrator'
and give each user the privilidge to adjust the system time. Do this in
control panel -> Adminsitrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Local
Security Settings (can't remember details - I'm on a site where I can't
check it now), then locate the right entry so the local registry gets
updated so "Domain Users' get the right to change the system time.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org