[Samba] Fun with veto files

Morten lists at kikobu.com
Wed Nov 19 16:24:06 GMT 2003

Hi. I have a fileserver running samba 2.2.7 and netatalk 1.5.5 for old
mac clients. Because the mac's are quite spammy with creating
.AppleDouble and other system directories, I've added the following to
smb.conf:

veto files = /.AppleDesktop/.AppleDouble/Network Trash Folder/TheFindByC
ontentFolder/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/System Volume Information/Recycled/

Now, when a windows client tries to delete a folder which a mac user has
implicitly created eg. .AppleDouble, the delete fails because the
windows client cannot "see" the file to delete:

   cannot remove "tiff2; the directory is not empty"

The dir contains the .AppleDouble still, and the samba user does have
proper permissions to delete this.

Is this a known issue? Any workarounds?

Br,

Morten