[Samba] Samba forgets it has "net join"ed

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Wed Nov 19 14:37:03 GMT 2003

Hello,

I am setting up a Samba 3.0.0 machine as a member (security=domain) of
a domain whose PDC is Samba 2.2.3a.

Most has gone well; the member machine can "net join" the domain;
clients can access the member machine appropriately; etc.

However, after awhile, thins start going wrong.  When a connection to
the member machine is attempted, it hangs for about 5 seconds, then
the member machine reports there were no password servers.  Each time
this happens, I can simply "net join" again, and then things start
working.

That works, but it requires that I am either at the console to type in
the password to join the domain, or that I hard-code it in a cron job
somewhere.  Neither of these really appeal to me, and I am pretty sure
this is not how it is supposed to work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John