[Samba] Problems with printers share - strange, at least!

António P. M. Coelho antcoelho at secil.pt
Wed Nov 19 12:28:54 GMT 2003

I have a samba server, where I define the printers to be shared via printcap
file.
The printcap file has about 20 printers on it, and 1 of them (only this
one), sometimes disappear.

When, at w2k workstation, I browse \\server1 the printer does not show, but
all others do; instead if I make \\server1\laser1 the printer is shown and
it stay there for a little time. If I close the bowser and, about an hour
later I open and type again \\server , again the printer is not shown.

Does anyone have a clue?!?!?!

My printcap laser1 printer definition is:

laser1|xinfm|laser2|lxforms:\
        :ml=0:\
        :mx=0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/laser1:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/laser1/laser1.acct:\
        :sh:\
        :rm=lxprn1:\
        :rp=pr1:\
        :lpd_bounce=true:\
        :if=/usr/share/printconf/util/mf_wrapper:

My smb.conf file is:

[global]
   workgroup = servidores
   comment = Server1
   volume = Server1
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   guest account = pcguest
   log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
   max log size = 50
   short preserve case = yes
   preserve case = yes
   lock directory = /var/lock/samba
   locking = yes
   strict locking = yes
   share modes = yes
   security = user
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY  IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096
SO_RCVBUF=4096
   os level = 33
   domain master = yes
   wins server = 192.168.255.1
   wins proxy = yes
   character set = iso8859-1

;============================ Share Declarations
==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   read only = no
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   create mode = 0750

 [netlogon]
   comment = Samba Network Logon Service
   path = /home/netlogon
   case sensitive = no
   guest ok = yes
   locking = no
   browseable = yes
   admin users = @wheel

; NOTE: There is NO need to specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = yes