[Samba] samba3: problem with machine accounts - change PC name

Rauno Tuul rauno.tuul at haigekassa.ee
Wed Nov 19 09:39:24 GMT 2003

Hi,

Running samba 3.0.0, LDAP passdb.
I've in smb.conf (script is from samba3.0.0 source tree)
add machine script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd.pl -w %u
delete user script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-userdel.pl %u

When a machine (win 2000/xp) is added once to samba domain on-the-fly.
Everything works well.
Things get tricky, when there's need to change machine name.

Samba doesn't delete the old entry and create a new one, but tries to change
it. Well, it doesn't work.

Sample: machine with random name was added to domain and afterwards changed
the PCs name.

# smbldap-usershow.pl changed-name$
dn: uid=ml-lit0tylgqgnp$,ou=Computers,dc=my,dc=domain
cn: ml-lit0tylgqgnp$
sn: ml-lit0tylgqgnp$
uid: CHANGED-NAME$
uidNumber: 1285
sambaAcctFlags: [UW         ]
displayName: CHANGED-NAME$

So results:
* only uid and displayname are changed.
* I don't understand why the new name is written is UPPER CASE. Machine name
is lower case in windows...
* Users can't login on that machine, because machine account has failed.
* sambaacctFlags: U gets set!?!?! This machine account appears to security
list of users. (in usermanager is shown a user ending with $ ).

To get the workstation to work, I've delete the entry and recreate it with
the same name. Then users can log in again.
How things should be:

# smbldap-usershow.pl changed-name$
dn: uid=changed-name$,ou=Computers,dc=my,dc=domain
cn: changed-name$
sn: changed-name$
uid: changed-name$
uidNumber: 1285
sambaAcctFlags: [W          ]

Any suggestions? ideas? Fixes?
I'm in somekind of a trouble...
btw: not changing the name isn't an option :(

Best regards,

 Rauno Tuul