[Samba] Trouble with root password in SWAT

Eric Geater 11/18/03 egeater at mscoinc.com
Tue Nov 18 23:17:33 GMT 2003

I have been kind of fortunate in adjusting my SWAT information, and now
can reach the SWAT3 interface through port 902 (thanks!), but now I have
an even more interesting snag.

Konqueror and Mozilla, when going to localhost:902 (what I set SWAT3 to
respond to), will prompt a login box.  The site is called "SWAT at
localhost".  I put in the root username, and the root password.  It then
tells me "Authentication Failed!  Do you want to retry?"  The root
password hasn't changed, as I determined by ssh-ing to the box and
hitting "su".

I can retry ad infinitum, or hit "cancel", which gives me a 401 error:
"You must be authenticated to use this service."

My /etc/xinetd.d/swat3 file looks like this:

service swat3
{
        port    = 902
        socket_type     = stream
        wait    = no
        only_from = 127.0.0.1
        user    = root
        server  = /usr/sbin/swat3
        log_on_failure  += USERID
        disable = no
}

My relevant stuff in the smb.conf looks like this:

   hosts allow = 192.168.0. 172.16.128. 127.
   guest account = nobody
  map to guest = bad user
  encrypt passwords = yes
  smb passwd file = /etc/samba3/smbpasswd
  unix password sync = Yes
  pam password change = yes
  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
  passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
  obey pam restrictions = yes

Everything else is relevant to the domain, specific to groups, or
something else.

Thanks in advance!

Eric